[Samba] SVN/CVS-like share for Samba users?

Michael Barnes mbarnes at hcjb.org
Thu Dec 22 16:43:19 GMT 2005

While Samba is a great tool, there is no one tool that will work for
every occasion.  The use you are describing may be very well served with
a collaboration tool, such as a Wiki.  A web based solution, there are
many flavors out there which have various levels of security and
accessories.  Personally, I happen to favor TWiki (see
http://www.twiki.org/).  It has a fair CVS system built in, can support
multiple projects simultaneously, and many other useful features.

You user simply goes to a web page, views the document, edits it as
necessary, and moves on. It is fairly user friendly.  If your user can
learn to log into a computer, open Word, edit a document, close it, and
later find the dame document, he should have little problem with a Wiki
site. Previous copies are retained, and there is a difference feature
which will highlight the changes between recent versions.

Just a thought.

Michael

Tomasz Chmielewski told me on 12/22/2005 09:24: