[Samba] SVN/CVS-like share for Samba users?

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 16:18:31 GMT 2005

Tomasz,
         You can use subversion to accomplish what you are doing easily.  In
subversion there are these hook scripts (
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s02.html#svn-ch-5-sect-2.1)  that can
be invoked when a user commits or checkout a file.  So in your case you can
write a simple commit hook that copies the last version to a ro filesystem
and then commits the document.

> When you send a novice to read the HOWTO, it's like telling them to
practice
> for running a marathon before they can walk. It's like telling them to
read a
> mechanic's guide before they know what is a car.

John I think you are assuming too much here about the user from one simple
email question.  I do see the point you are trying to make, but how is
Dmitriy to know what skill level Tomasz possess?  Also often the user might
be just trying to find out that it can be done.

Vijay Avarachen
:wq!

On 12/22/05, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> I am looking for some solution, working with Samba preferably, which
> would allow multiple users to work on one document.
>
> This means that if a user makes a change to the document, a previous
> version of that document is saved somewhere else.
>
> For example, user A opens a document (rw - read/write, ro - read-only
> document):
>
> rw \\server\share\document.txt
>
> User makes some changes, and saves it to the same place.
>
> This SVN/CVS-like share handles the change inteligently, and makes a
> copy of the previous file to a ro file somewhere else:
>
> ro \\server\share\backup\2005.12.22-16:24:04\document.txt
>

> Do you have something in mind which would allow me to do something like
> that *transparently* to the user (assuming the user doesn't know much
> more about computers than opening Word document etc.)?
>

> --
> Tomek
> http://wpkg.org
> WPKG - software management with Samba
> --

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying