[Samba] SVN/CVS-like share for Samba users?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Dec 22 15:46:34 GMT 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 08:24, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I am looking for some solution, working with Samba preferably, which
> would allow multiple users to work on one document.
>
> This means that if a user makes a change to the document, a previous
> version of that document is saved somewhere else.
>
> For example, user A opens a document (rw - read/write, ro - read-only
> document):
>
> rw \\server\share\document.txt
>
> User makes some changes, and saves it to the same place.
>
> This SVN/CVS-like share handles the change inteligently, and makes a
> copy of the previous file to a ro file somewhere else:
>
> ro \\server\share\backup\2005.12.22-16:24:04\document.txt
>

> Do you have something in mind which would allow me to do something like
> that *transparently* to the user (assuming the user doesn't know much
> more about computers than opening Word document etc.)?

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

Folks, please refer all who ask deployment related questions to the "Samba-3
By Example book", not "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide".

When you send a novice to read the HOWTO, it's like telling them to practice
for running a marathon before they can walk. It's like telling them to read a
mechanic's guide before they know what is a car.

- John T.