[Samba] Samba Share and FoxPro optimization

Tony Grace tony at opensystems.net.au
Thu Dec 22 10:03:15 GMT 2005

Problem: Slow response to large tables via SMB share on FoxPro Database TSM.

I have a client running samba-3.0.10-1.fc2 on Fedora Core 2.
I have done some searching and tried some settings, this is the basic set-up
for the share:

[data]
        writeable = yes
        path = /data/general
        comment = Public Stuff
        public = yes
        veto oplock files = *.dbf/*.?dx/*.frx
        strict locking = no

I have read that the
Lock spin count = x has a direct effect on the performance of FoxPro and MS
Access when shared on a SAMBA network share, but what values of x would you
recommend and is this the right track.
A windows share of the same data is significantly faster

Regards
Tony