[Samba] samba start: not working in /etc/init.d/smb ???

Steve Bernier steber.listes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 01:58:14 GMT 2005

Hi everybody,

This may be a stupid question, but I really don't get it. When I restart my
Linux box (occasionnaly / rarely), samba is not working from my Windows
station. I can't connect to the samba drive. If I do /etc/init.d/smb
restart, it doesn't work either.

After many unsuccessfull problem determination, I found that there is two
ways to correct this:

1- kill smbd -D process (master) and restart it manually
2- copy the /etc/init.d/smb to /root/smb, and simply execute /root/smb
restart !!!

The second option doesn't make sense. I check every script called in "smb",
and there is no call to $0 variable that could modify this.

Software & hardware:

Linux, Redhat, FC4
kernel 2.6.14
samba 3.0.14a
yum update done this week

Celeron 333 Mhz
320 MB RAM
160 GB HD

from /var/samba/computername.log

This message is appearing multiple time when it doesn't work

[2005/12/21 20:52:27, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(615)
  '/home/snip' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to [
snip]

This message is appearing after I initiate the smbd from /root/smb script
(which is a cp -p /etc/init.d/smb /root/smb !!!)

[2005/12/21 20:53:38, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(642)
  computername (ipaddress) connect to service partage initially as user
someuser

(I changed directory, share, computername, ipaddress and user for security
reason, you never know...)

I have a pretty good understanding of Unix (mainly AIX), but not really
samba. For sure I could resolve this the hard way (whatever necessary...),
but I would prefer to understand what's happening!

Any help appreciated.

Thx,