[Samba] File-name Mangling issue...

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Dec 21 20:12:16 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 11:29:00AM +0000, Amit Sharma wrote:
> Thanks Chris...
>
> But even with "mangled names = yes" , any file-name created with characters
> more than 8 is not getting converted into 8.3 schema automatically even
> while i copy paste it from windows or i save a new file with notepad over
> samba share.
>
> I think there have to be some else configuration lines other than these
> below mentioned ones to do the needfull..
> ------
> case sensitive = no
> default case = upper
> preserve case = no
> short preserve case = no
> mangled names = yes
> ------
>
> It doesnt work even if with mangled names = no
>
> The only thing i want is for my long file-names to be converted into 8.3
> filename schema.

The only current way to do that is to downgrade the protocol level to an
old DOS (pre-OS/2) level. We don't force mangle names with modern protocol
levels, we only mangle names we know Windows clients can't use.

It would be an interesting code experiment to make smbd force mangle names...

No time to do it right now, sorry.

Jeremy.