[Samba] migrating users over to Samba PDC...slowly

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Wed Dec 21 18:31:52 GMT 2005

We have a Windows 2000 PDC (domain name: DOM1) and a Windows 2000 CIFS
fileserver (\\winfs) that we are migrating over to Samba (domain name:
DOM2).

Without turning off anything on the Windows boxes, I created a new PDC
for the Samba server. I also created shares on this Samba server that
closely match (same share name mounted off same NetApp backend) the
Windows fileserver (e.g. \\winfs\share is the same as \\sambafs\share).

I don't want users to login using the new PDC yet, but I'd like them to
use the Samba server to mount all their files, so I had one of them
login using the old Windows PDC, but unmount all the old shares and
remount the new Samba server.

It worked well for a while...but then it disconnected after a couple of
minutes. I'm not sure if this was a fluke, or if there is something
inherently wrong with with the setup as described above. Can I use
this scheme for the next couple of days while I migrate everyone over?

thanks,
Thomas

--
N.J. Thomas