[Samba] Re: Samba 3.0.21 Available for Download

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Dec 21 14:51:57 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>   o Rewrite of CIFS oplock implementation.

Specifically on the oplock topic:

Does the fact that the Samba team invested in such a rewrite mean that it is time to reevaluate utilizing oplock capabilities with applications that suggest running with them disabled? Desktop
database applications are first in my mind - the Paradox's and Access's of the world. Also accounting packages that share a database file on the server. Peachtree using a Btrieve database on the server.

Or was this investment in R&D necessary for all of the non database oplock usage, and databases should not attempt to use oplocks?

Are the capabilities considered cross platform, or were specific platforms targeted - such as Windows 2000 and Linux, but not Windows 98... or something bazaar like that?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems