[Samba] Samba printing fails for Windows clients, was working, now fails...

Dennis B. Hopp dhopp at coreps.com
Wed Dec 21 14:21:06 GMT 2005

Quoting Eric Hines <eehines at comcast.net>:

> At 12/21/05 06:48, Dennis B. Hopp wrote:
>> activity superstore wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> The printing via Samba+Cups has stopped working. I'm
>>> using Mandrake 10.0 Official as a Samba server for
>>> file sharing and printing on a Windows network.
>>> Printing from a WindowsXP client to the Samba server
>>> now fails and I don't know why it has suddenly
>>> stopped, it used to work. File sharing still works
>>> okay.
>>>
>>> There are on no errors logged on the Linux Samba box,
>>> the Windows application you try to print from just
>>> says "not responding". I have used Knoppix as a client
>>> and the printing works from Samba, so it is just a
>>> Windows client to Linux Samba issue, but I can't
>>> figure it out.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Samba version samba-server-3.0.2a-3mdk
>>>
>> That's an old version of Samba.  I got to imagine Mandrake (or
>> Mandriva or whatever they are called now) has released a newer
>> package.  Can you try to upgrade?
>>
>> --Dennis
>
> Yes, but it was working.  OP doesn't report changing anything, in
> particular, the OS or Samba.  Why would it quit out of the blue?

Software bugs creep up at weird times sometimes.  I usually look at
upgrading, especially when the version that is being ran is close to a
year old (or more?).

> Could there be a print log file (or some such) that's gotten too big
> and hangs the print process?

Certainly possible, but the developers would need to see a debug log to
make that decision.

> Could the print server itself (I use a Netgear doofer that plugs into
> the back of my Samsung) have failed?  A Lynksys that I used prior to
> the Netgear did quit on me; replacing that got me my printing back.

Again possible, something to look at.

> On the other hand, it probably would be worth the effort to upgrade
> Samba on GPs; 3.0.21 is sufficiently advanced over 3.0.2a that that's
> worth the effort in its own right.

My thoughts exactly.

--Dennis