[Samba] OT: NIC Problem (Fwd: In response to your USRobotics technical support questions, your case #:300882125)

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Wed Dec 21 04:14:57 GMT 2005

OK, this really is my last post on the matter; Adam brings up a valid point.

SUSE Pro 9.3 (kernel 2.6.11.4-21.10) found the US Robotics NIC right
off, but said it could not find a driver for it.  My Netgear went
right in, with SUSE finding that driver just fine.  Both were,
indeed, based on the RTL8169 chip (I assume USR's was, based on the
delivered software directory structure and naming).  I ran a standard
installation of SUSE, right off Novell's DVDs.  Netgear, among
others, was mentioned in the list of drivers provided for YaST's
"manual" configuration; no USR driver was in that list.  Netgear's
driver was present enough for YaST's automatic installation; USR's
was not.  The fact remains, though, that even were this a SUSE
problem and not a USR one, USR's tech support could have answered my
question the first time, and not the second.

Eric Hines

At 12/20/05 20:28, Adam Nielsen wrote:
>Hi Eric,

>If that card is based on the RTL8169 chip, there's already a driver for
>it supplied with the Linux kernel.  If compilied as a module, it's
>called r8169.  I've been using it myself for about a year now without
>any problems.  You could perhaps try that instead?
>
>Cheers,
>Adam.

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of
the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
         --Bertrand Russell