[Samba] Server recommendation ??

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Wed Dec 21 00:27:00 GMT 2005

I have a client that already has a "Windows 2003 Server" server in their
main office. He wants me to put a new server in a remote office, which
is connected via a vpn. The only real connection between the two will be
every night to copy all data files to the main server for backup. He has
told me to use Linux/Samba or Win2003k whichever I think is best. Now,
without a doubt, I prefer linux, that is all I've installed for several
years. But, I'm also smart (humble) enough to know, I've never messed
with getting a samba box to live with a Win2003k box. Yes, I know it can
be done, I've read about it on this list, but, most of the time there
has been alot of pain and many many hours spent getting there. I don't
have that luxury. I can't afford to spend 40 hours getting it to work
and only billing 2 hours or whatever. Also, the remote office is 2 hours
drive at best away.

I guess it boils down to, "How hard is it going to be to setup a cron
job of some sort that will copy all data files to the Win2003k server
every night?" I don't really need total integration I guess. The remote
server can have it's own domain, users, etc. I just need to connect to
the main office each night.