[Samba] Re: Error in documentation: Samba 3 By Example: Chapter 5 - Making Users Happy in re: Outlook

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 23:12:36 GMT 2005

On 12/20/05, Alan Dodd <alan.dodd at tele2.it> wrote:
> Tried using Thunderbird with Imap, but this was quite bulky, messages
> get cached locally, and if there is a lot of mail, when the roaming user
> changes workstation, he/she has to wait 'till the cache reloads (550M? 1G?).
> (And for security reasons we must delete the cache anyway, and if we
> don't use cache, the thing gets slow, and......)
> I then installed a web interface mail client which works quite well, but
> is not as complete as OE or Ms Outlook or Moz Thunderbird are.
> I think if some guy from Mozilla would want to build an option to store
> collected messages in a (centralized) database like Mysql, Thunderbird
> would become a killer app for roaming profiles! (already tried giving
> them a hint - no response yet)

Thunderbird's profiles can be stored wherever you want; we store them
on people's networked home directories, to avoid bloating the roaming
profile.  There are several ways to configure this; we did it by
setting up the Thunderbird shortcuts with a "-profile
h:\Mozilla\Thunderbird" parameter to force the use of that profile.

Josh Kelley