[Samba] Active Directory and Samba 3.0.20

Rich Bonfoey Rich.Bonfoey at thenewstribune.com
Tue Dec 20 23:12:00 GMT 2005

This is a new install with a very novice samba user .  We are running samba
3.0.20 on a Solaris 9 server.  We have 3 domains controllers - 1 old NT and
1Win 2000 Active Directory and 1 Win 2003 Active Directory.  The support
group that
administers the domains, have a limited skill set.  If its not Windows they
have nothing to contribute.

The Domain Controllers are called
TACOMANEWS - Win 22000
TACOMA  - Win 2003
IS_DEPT - NT4

When running wbinfo -m on TACOMANEWS it sees IS_DEPT and TACOMA
When running wbinfo -m on IS_DEPT it sees TACOMA
When running wbinfo -m on TACOMA it sees TACOMANEWS and TACOMA

Checking users in all the domains, the only users that are seen are the ones
in the IS_DEPT and TACOMA.  Even when joined to TACOMANEWS, it shows no
users for this domain.  There are at least 80 users in the TACOMANEWS
domain.

I think there should be users showing for TACOMANEWS, but our support group
does not know why.

Can anyone offer some insight or point me to some documentation on the
issue.  I have googled a lot but haven't found what I need.  Samba is
running as a member of a domain.  Below is my smb.conf file, this is very
generic.

Thanks for any and all help

[global]
        force directory mode = 775
        create mode = 777
        acl compatibility = auto
        dns proxy = no
        force create mode = 775
        encrypt passwords = yes
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        max log size = 50
        password server = *
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        writeable = yes
        directory mode = 777
        security = DOMAIN
        winbind use default domain = yes
        server string = zThorin
        workgroup = TACOMANEWS
        local master = no
        log level = 1
        print command = lpr -h -r -P%p %s
        netbios name = zthorin
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/%m.log
        os level = 20

[Fango]
        path = /fango/gongo
        printable = no
        public = yes
        create mask = 777
        directory mask = 777

Richard Bonfoey
The News Tribune
Information Systems
Successfully Meeting the Business Needs of
The News Tribune through Information Technology