[Samba] Error in documentation: Samba 3 By Example: Chapter 5 - Making Users Happy in re: Outlook

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 23:10:17 GMT 2005

On 12/19/05, Jonathan Johnson <jon at sutinen.com> wrote:
> Configuration of MS Outlook to Relocate PST File
>
> Microsoft Outlook can store a Personal Folders file, generally known as
> a PST file. It is the nature of email storage that this file grows, at
> times quite rapidly. So that users' email is available to them at every
> workstation they may log onto, it is common practice in well-controlled
> sites to redirect the PST folder to the users' home directory. Follow
> these steps for each user who wishes to do this.

A few more notes on PST file location:  (Some or all of this may be
beyond the scope of the Samba docs.)

Microsoft doesn't officially support storing PSTs on network drives
(see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/), although it seems to be
a pretty popular setup.

In addition to manually moving PST files, you can set the default PST
location for new accounts by following instructions at
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/48228/48228.html.
 This setting could presumably be done using NT4-style policies, but I
haven't tried it.

We found that disabling oplocks on PSTs cut down on some locking
errors, and I've seen the suggestion from others on the mailing list
as well:
    veto oplock files = /*.pst/*.PST/
3.0.21 includes an oplock rewrite; maybe the above will no longer be necessary?

The instructions that you provided for moving PST files don't work for
PSTs that store IMAP account information.  Those can be manually moved
to network drives using a variation on your instructions:
1. Close Outlook.
2. From the control panel, launch the Mail icon
3. Click Email Accounts
4. Make a note of the location of the PST file(s). From this location,
move the files to the desired location.
5. Back under Email Accounts, click Settings for the data file, and
select the new location when Windows complains about the file missing.
However, this breaks Outlook's Send/Receive button, so we quit doing
it.  I haven't figured out a fix for this.  (From what I can tell,
PSTs for IMAP accounts store message rules/filters related to that
account, so they would be worth centralizing, even though the mail
itself is on an IMAP server.)

Josh Kelley