[Samba] Removing stale host/workgroups in browse lists

Michael Barnes mbarnes at hcjb.org
Tue Dec 20 21:35:13 GMT 2005

I've got a moderate network with several subnets, a number of domains
and workgroups. I have a central WINS server, each domain has its own
PDC.  My problem is transient users. We have occasional users who plug a
laptop into the network.  Once they leave, they hang around in Network
Neighborhood forever.  Then I have users who curiously click on their
icon in NN and their machine just sits there searching for the long gone
host.

Is there any way to get rid of these stale hosts?  I've deleted the
browser.dat and wins.dat files on the PDCs and WINS server, but
everything comes right back in a few minutes.  Eventually (like six
months) these things go away.  But, if there is a fairly easy way to
clean them out, I'd like to do it.

Thanks,
Michael