[Samba] Samba over PVFS: Corrupted Data

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Dec 20 16:08:24 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:46:18AM -0500, Justin Mazzola Paluska wrote:

> I did a more careful study of the files and the corrupted version
> seems corrupt throughout -- including an odd string of NULs at the end
> of the file.  The files are the same size, so perhaps something is
> padding the file to be the right length?

Ok, what you need is to create files locally on the windows client
of 512 bytes, 1024 bytes etc. and then just copy them onto the
Samba drive. Check what the smallest size is that the first file becomes
corrupted. That will show the simplest problem that reproduces the
issue. At *that* point then send in logs etc. Without an *exact*
method of reproducing this with detailed information on what is
going wrong (ie. the last 20 bytes of a 512 byte file get corrupted,
but a 256 byte file is fine - here is the comparitive copy) it will
be a massive investment of time to track this down, that we currently
don't have. You're going to have to do more work on this I'm afraid.

Jeremy.