[Samba] smbclient lookup fails when querying local machine

ryan punt rpunt at good-sam.com
Tue Dec 20 14:09:13 GMT 2005

Adam:

Your suggestions have been great, and have helped me solve a few other problems on different servers.

Thanks again!

Ryan

>>> Adam Nielsen <adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au> 12/19/2005 5:49:04 PM >>>
> I can telnet to 139:

Hmm, that's bizarre.  It seems like smbd is ignoring the connection on
purpose.  I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.  You could try adding "hosts
allow = 127." line to smb.conf just in case (along with your other
subnets so they can still access the server) however I don't think it
would make much difference.

I would suggest getting hold of a packet sniffer like Ethereal just to
see what's going on, but I suspect all you'd see is the initial request
being sent on port 139 and then nothing further.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Cheers,
Adam.