[Samba] About getent passwd.

Vijay Avarachen vavarachen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:08:07 GMT 2005

Why do you want to edit the uid?  The UID is auto assigned on a first come
first serve basis.  If you are having problems with permissions when writing
to a NFS share because the UID/GID are different on each Linux hosts, then
you should consider using an OpenLDAP based backend for keeping track of
things.

What backend are you using right now?

On 12/19/05, Latrell <is85022 at cis.nctu.edu.tw> wrote:

> Hi! All:
>
> After joining domain, I can use getent passwd to retrieve domain users
> information.
> My problem is how can we edit the output of getent passwd?
> For example, I want to change uid of ntu3 from 100006 to 100007 after
> getent passwd.
> (ntu3:x:100006:100000:ntu3:/tmp/users/home/WIN2KNT/ntu3:/bin/bash)
> In /etc/passwd, I can edit information of local users, what if domain
> users?
> Is there a passwd file in existence?
> Thanks for any reply.
>
> Best,
> Latrell
>
> --

"Knowledge is the only wealth that grows as you spend it, and diminishes as
you save it."
-- ancient Sanskrit saying