[Samba] Re: LDAP account management tools?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 19 13:41:10 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 07:10 -0500, Matt Lung wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

> >>Agreed, there are lots of resources for getting help.  Of course
> >>expecting personal attention to one's problems is not always going to
> >>happen on a free platform.  When I post to this list however I am asking
> >>for personal attention every time.  If someone gives that attention back
> >>is another thing.  But it is free support so you always must keep that
> >>in mind.  Contracting for support for getting say your home network
> >>going???  Who is going to want to do that?  Samba is not just used as an
> >>Enterprise server application.  I'm just suggesting making it easier to
> >>setup and maintain so just keep an open mind.
> >>

> >----
> >

> >of course home networking isn't going to involve LDAP (unless you are at
> >my house) so that isn't an issue and most of the distributions give you
> >a tool to configure samba for your home network now or you can always
> >use swat.
> >

> >This list is simply a users helping users and infrequently, when someone
> >is fortunate enough to have properly researched their problem and stated
> >it simply and clearly enough, they will get answers from samba
> >developers.
> >
> >These simple facts remain...
> >- open source usage requires the implementer to get involved in the
> >configuation details.
> >
> >- there aren't always nice, neat gui tools for these configuration
> >issues...remember, UNIX/Linux is about text based configuration files
> >and the gui tools tend to make a bludgeon of things that in text
> >form...can be organized, logical and easy enough to change with a simple
> >editor.
> >
> >- samba has the best documentation that I am aware of all open source
> >projects and because of the detail/scope/breadth, people don't want to
> >read it and instead, want to use the mail lists instead.
> >
> >- if we are talking about a business and there's no one on staff capable
> >of handling the issues involved, businesses pay for support.
> >
> >Craig
> >

> The simple fact was I was just asking if there were plans for a nice
> web-based server configuration/administration tool that would be offered
> up by the Samba team.   Since your either part of the Samba Team or are
> speaking on their behalf, you could have simply said we don't have the
> developers to take on a project like this, or simply said NO we are not
> even thinking of doing a project like that.  Good discussion though.
----
there is of course swat

and I am speaking on my own behalf and I have little knowledge of the
toolsets under development either in the 3.x or 4.x branches.

You should consider webmin <http://www.webmin.com> if you want a web
based interface to access/interact the smb.conf but I find that it makes
a mess of my organization of the smb.conf file and don't use it for that
purpose.

Craig