[Samba] Recommended LDAP access settings for a Samba admin DN

Andrey Voitenkov mccloud at gyrus.kiev.ua
Mon Dec 19 12:27:40 GMT 2005

Marek Szuba wrote:

> At the moment everything works fine, but I'd like Samba to use a
> dedicated LDAP access DN instead of the global directory admin one.
> Could you give me any recommendations as to how access rules should be
> set for this DN so that it  both can work without problems and have no
> unnecessary privileges?

I use following settings:
--- cut ---
access to dn.subtree="dc=GYRUS,dc=office,dc=local"
attrs=sambaLMPassword,sambaNTPassword
         by dn="uid=ssamba,ou=Shadow,dc=office,dc=local" write
         by dn="uid=radiusd,ou=Shadow,dc=office,dc=local" read
         by * none
access to attr=userPassword
         by dn="uid=ssamba,ou=Shadow,dc=office,dc=local" write
         by self write
         by anonymous auth
         by * none
access to dn.subtree="dc=GYRUS,dc=office,dc=local"
         by dn="uid=ssamba,ou=Shadow,dc=office,dc=local" write
         by * read
access to *
         by * read

Samba domain stored under dc=GYRUS,dc=office,dc=local node,
samba uses posixAccount record uid=ssamba,ou=Shadow,dc=office,dc=local
to access LDAP-server. May be it is not the best way, but it works for me.

--
mccloud@