[Samba] Re: LDAP account management tools?

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Mon Dec 19 12:10:20 GMT 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:32 -0500, Matt Lung wrote:
>

>>>----
>>>There are lots of resources for getting support - this list is user
>>>supported for free. Expecting personal attention to one's situation is
>>>probably not reasonable. You can always contract for support, setup
>>>assistance, etc.
>>>
>>>Craig
>>>

>>Agreed, there are lots of resources for getting help.  Of course
>>expecting personal attention to one's problems is not always going to
>>happen on a free platform.  When I post to this list however I am asking
>>for personal attention every time.  If someone gives that attention back
>>is another thing.  But it is free support so you always must keep that
>>in mind.  Contracting for support for getting say your home network
>>going???  Who is going to want to do that?  Samba is not just used as an
>>Enterprise server application.  I'm just suggesting making it easier to
>>setup and maintain so just keep an open mind.
>>

>----
>

>of course home networking isn't going to involve LDAP (unless you are at
>my house) so that isn't an issue and most of the distributions give you
>a tool to configure samba for your home network now or you can always
>use swat.
>

>This list is simply a users helping users and infrequently, when someone
>is fortunate enough to have properly researched their problem and stated
>it simply and clearly enough, they will get answers from samba
>developers.
>
>These simple facts remain...
>- open source usage requires the implementer to get involved in the
>configuation details.
>
>- there aren't always nice, neat gui tools for these configuration
>issues...remember, UNIX/Linux is about text based configuration files
>and the gui tools tend to make a bludgeon of things that in text
>form...can be organized, logical and easy enough to change with a simple
>editor.
>
>- samba has the best documentation that I am aware of all open source
>projects and because of the detail/scope/breadth, people don't want to
>read it and instead, want to use the mail lists instead.
>
>- if we are talking about a business and there's no one on staff capable
>of handling the issues involved, businesses pay for support.
>
>Craig

The simple fact was I was just asking if there were plans for a nice
web-based server configuration/administration tool that would be offered
up by the Samba team.   Since your either part of the Samba Team or are
speaking on their behalf, you could have simply said we don't have the
developers to take on a project like this, or simply said NO we are not
even thinking of doing a project like that.  Good discussion though.

Matt