[Samba] Unable to give users access to folders within Samba share

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Sun Dec 18 22:53:51 GMT 2005

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply!

> What Samba version?  Are you using security = ads ?

I was using Samba 3.0.20 with security = domain, however I have since
upgraded to 3.0.21rc2 with security = ads in the hope that this may
have fixed the problem.

I think the problem may have been something to do with the fact that we
have so many users and groups (probably more than 65536) and once
winbind had retrieved as many of these as it could, it stopped working
with newly added groups.

Since upgrading Samba I removed all the cache files so it rebuilt them
and the user/group thing works now, all that remains to be seen is
whether it breaks again once all the groups have been retrieved or
whether it'll keep going this time.  There are a few minor differences
(e.g. the group names are all lowercase now) so it's obviously doing
something differently to before.

Cheers,
Adam.