[Samba] Implementation Question

Dennis B. Hopp dhopp at coreps.com
Sun Dec 18 19:25:13 GMT 2005

I'm setting up a small network and I would like to have centralized
authentication.  I have no need for active directory so samba makes sense.

The desktops will be running Windows XP but there are a few other
servers (a linux mail server, web server and file server) that I would
like to be able to use the centralized authentication with.

So my question is, is it better to configure samba as a PDC for the
windows clients and then use NIS for the other linux servers, or just
use samba for all authentication (i.e. the mail server and web server
will be member servers in the samba domain)?

--Dennis