[Samba] Basic samba/swat setup prob

dave s samba at pusspaws.net
Sun Dec 18 16:49:13 GMT 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 15:49, Mathew D. Watson wrote:
> dave wrote:
> > I am running kubuntu, samba 3.0.14a, my smb.conf file is ...
> >
> > [global]
> >     workgroup = METRAN
> >     encrypt passwords = yes
> > [test]
> >     comment = For testing only, please
> >     path = /etc/samba/tmp
> >     read only = no
> >     guest ok = yes
> >
> > I have a /etc/samba/tmp directory,
> >
> > I am user dave on the system so I ...
> >
> > smbpasswd -a dave
> >
> > I gave it a password of 'testing', it complained that a file did not
> > exist then created it for me ... all looked AOK
> >
> > I pointed my browser to http://localhost:901, an authentication dialogue
> > popped up, I entered 'dave', 'testing' hopeing for the swat screen but
> > all I get is authentication failed, retry.
>
> This is a guess, but try adding
>
> security = user

Tried it but no go , did a /etc/init.d/samba restart, authentication still
failed

> to the [global] section.
>
> You might also try, as I did, using the /etc/samba/smb.conf file that
> came with the samba package. Then run swat, and use it to make your
> changes.

Tried using the default config as well, authentication still failed. But
thanks for the suggestions.

> Mat

mmm....

Can anyone tell me where the smb passwords are kept, they are not
in /etc/samba/... if I can find the file I can verify if dave really exists
in it.

Cheers

Dave