[Samba] "NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"

Donald Musser dmjmusser at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:54:02 GMT 2005

Yeah, the smbclient -L localhost -U% command works fine and returns data as
I'd expect. I've also found that I cannot modify passwords for my defined
usernames. Here's what I get when I try.

[root at localhost samba]#smbpasswd -a username
New SMB password:
Re-type new SMB password:
Unable to open/create TBD passwd
pdb_getsampwnam: Unable to open TDB password (/etc/samba/passdw.tbd)!
TDBSAM version too old (0), trying to convert it.
TDBSAM converted successfully.
tdb_update_sam: Failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [mmusser] without a
primary group RID
Failed to add entry for user username.
Failed to modify password entry for user username

I get this error with and without the  -a argument. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not using any logon scripts. Are they necessary? I was under the
impression they were only needed if you wanted to auto-mount drives on login
and things like that.

-Myles