[Samba] Joining a Samba 3 domain repost

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Dec 15 21:41:00 GMT 2005

On Thursday 15 December 2005 14:26, Mike wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Yes I can add the machine name to the userlist by executing the same
> command
> add machine script = /usr/sbin/"useradd -s /bin/false -d /var/lib/nobody
> machinename" < this part only
> manually. Once the machine account has been added I can then add the PC
> to the domain.
>
> May be its a problem running the script by a user who is not root. Hmmm
> I used root & tried Administrator as well?

The useradd command can only be run by root. That is why you need to add
machines using the root account.

Since Samba-3.0.11 you can use the user rights and privileges facility
(documented in the HOWTO) to give this authority to non-privileged users.

See: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

- John T.