[Samba] Perhaps silly question - network browse problems...

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Dec 15 18:58:10 GMT 2005

Hi folks;

This may not even be Samba related, but I'm stumped, so I thought I'd toss
this one out here.

All the client machines are on 192.168.1.x, all netmasks are configured as
/24, etc.

I cannot browse the network. I CAN connect to a resource on the server just
fine if I specify the full name, but an attempt to bring up the network
browser shows the network name (DENNINGER) but nothing inside.......

I am connecting as "Workgroup" clients (not a domain client) due to issues
I had a while back with domain logins.

Clients are all WinXP SP2.

I don't get it - this started after I came off the 2.x codebase, and I
can't find anything obvious that I'm doing wrong in the configuration -
obviously I'm missing something!

Any help or places to look appreciated.... "testparm" attached

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind

Running 3.0.20b; here's the output of "Testparm"

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[faxserver]"
Processing section "[pics]"
Processing section "[Music]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
[global]
	workgroup = DENNINGER
	server string = Home Office FileServer
	interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24
	max log size = 50
	deadtime = 15
	domain logons = Yes
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	remote announce = 192.168.1.255
	invalid users = root
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, 127.
	printing = bsd
	print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
	lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
	lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j