[Samba] RHEL4 and samba

Philip Washington phwashington at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 16:56:36 GMT 2005

Margaret_Doll wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 14, 2005, at 04:42 PM, Philip Washington wrote:
>
>> Margaret_Doll wrote:
>>

>>> Begin forwarded message:

>>      open ports 137 and 138, I forget which one, but the announcement
>> is on one of these ports, you also need to check your protocols tcp
>> udp as far as iptables is concerned.      Usually in this cases I
>> open up all protocols and the ports needed(check the protocols udp
>> and tcp on 139 445 also)  and then start DROP ing or REJECT ing
>> ports-protocols until it breaks.
>>       selinux should not be an issue with this.
>

> I opened the tcp, udp ports in the iptables, restarted iptables,
> restarted smb.
>
> I still have the same problems with nmbd.   People can do a search for
> the server.nnn.nnn.edu and find themselves logged in, but the server
> in the Network Neighborhood is "not available"   The printers from the
> Windows computers
> have to be created using the complete path of the server, ie.
> server.nnn.nnn.edu, instead of the samba name.
>
> iptables --list
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> udp dpt:netbios-ns
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:netbios-ns
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> udp dpt:netbios-dgm
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:netbios-dgm
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
> ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> udp dpt:netbios-ssn

Would it be possible to turn off iptables altogether and try.
service iptables stop
service smb restart
You may have to wait a few minutes for the master browser to pick it up.

Here is a copy of a simple smb.conf I have running on a test machine
running RHEL4
[global]
        workgroup = COMPA
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = 10.10.10.167/24
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        default devmode = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer driver Download Area
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin, root, philip
        guest ok = Yes

[Shared]
        path = /home/philip/SHARED
        valid users = philip
        read only = No
        hosts allow = 10.10.10.169, 10.10.10.238