[Samba] RHEL4 and samba

Margaret_Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:39:57 GMT 2005

On Wednesday, December 14, 2005, at 04:42 PM, Philip Washington wrote:

> Margaret_Doll wrote:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Margaret_Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu>
>>> Date: Wed Dec 14, 2005  1:09:24 PM US/Eastern
>>> To: samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
>>> Subject: [Samba] RHEL4 and samba
>>>
>>> I brought over the /etc/samba directory from a RHEL3 system to a
>>> RHEL4 system.
>>>
>>> I disable selinux in case there was a problem with a port being
>>> blocked
>>>
>>> iptables has port 139 and 445 enabled.
>>>
>      open ports 137 and 138, I forget which one, but the announcement
> is on one of these ports, you also need to check your protocols tcp
> udp as far as iptables is concerned.      Usually in this cases I open
> up all protocols and the ports needed(check the protocols udp and tcp
> on 139 445 also)  and then start DROP ing or REJECT ing
> ports-protocols until it breaks.
>       selinux should not be an issue with this.

I opened the tcp, udp ports in the iptables, restarted iptables,
restarted smb.

I still have the same problems with nmbd.   People can do a search for
the server.nnn.nnn.edu and find themselves logged in, but the server in
the Network Neighborhood is "not available"   The printers from the
Windows computers
have to be created using the complete path of the server, ie.
server.nnn.nnn.edu, instead of the samba name.

iptables --list
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ssn

>>> I can see the server in the Windows Network Neighborhood but the
>>> user cannot connect because they are unauthorized to attach from
>>> their computer.
>>>
>>> Most of the test in the samba documentation work except.
>>>
>>> smbclient -L server -N
>>>
>>> shows  no computers, but does show the shares and
>>>
>>> SERVER        COMMENTS
>>>
>>> myserver        server comments
>>>
>>> Workgroup    Master
>>>
>>> myworkgroup