[Samba] Re: LDAP account management tools?

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Thu Dec 15 15:32:22 GMT 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 09:20 -0500, Matt Lung wrote:
>

>>Right now, it isn't.  It could be with some work though.  I believe new
>>users will continue to struggle until there is some sort of wizard type
>>setup that will aid in the configuration of their Samba servers.  If
>>they use a wizard and get setup what they want they will be happy.
>>

>----
>I think that is the point of smbldap-tools and most specifically
>smbldap-populate - sort of a turnkey approach to getting the Windows
>expected/Samba & LDAP implemented base setup.

yes, but sort of a shocker for first time Linux or Samba users.
Consider where they are coming from.  NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, FINISH.
I'm not saying the command lines tools do not work at all.  I have no
problem setting up servers with them, but why does it have to be only
one way?   All I'm really talking about is a nice graphical interface
that would pretty much still utilize all those same commands.  Think of
it as step by step documentation, but at the same time your building
your server by clicking buttons and filling out options.

>----
>

>>Maybe some of them will leave it at that and never look any deeper, or
>>maybe others will need to dig down and start learning how Samba really
>>works or how LDAP really works, and start customizing.  Most that are
>>just starting out they try this and they hit a road block and become
>>frustrated.... they ask for help on this list and most get chastised for
>>asking a simple question.  The inevitable answer is "read the
>>documentation".
>>

>----
>How do you deal with people that already have their users and groups
>setup? Is basic LDAP setup/configuration part of Samba responsibility?
>----

In my opinion if your setting up Samba to use LDAP it should be Samba's
responsibility to get you to a point that their software starts working
the way you expect.  They do that pretty much with the smbldap-populate
script.  The people (like me and its always a nasty problem) that
already have their users and groups setup will have to be delt with.  By
no means am I saying "just go do this and do it without planning or
thinking of others situations that can casuse a problem".  Maybe some
sort of module could be programed to initialize your directory with an
ldif from your old setup, and specify your site user and group
configuration.   A migrate moduel.  This is all just speculation for
something that does not exist... but I'm sure something can be done to
accommodate most everyone.

>>  A lot of times it gets pretty nasty too.  Why don't you
>>make a separate list for new samba users to post simple startup
>>questions to??
>>

>----
>I don't see it getting nasty
>----

It does at times.

>>  I'd run back to Microsoft in an instant too if I was new
>>looking for help and that happened to me.    Doing something like this
>>to make startup easier is only going to help this project and further
>>promote switching from Microsoft servers to Samba servers, or switching
>>to Linux in general.
>>

>----
>There are lots of resources for getting support - this list is user
>supported for free. Expecting personal attention to one's situation is
>probably not reasonable. You can always contract for support, setup
>assistance, etc.
>
>Craig

Agreed, there are lots of resources for getting help.  Of course
expecting personal attention to one's problems is not always going to
happen on a free platform.  When I post to this list however I am asking
for personal attention every time.  If someone gives that attention back
is another thing.  But it is free support so you always must keep that
in mind.  Contracting for support for getting say your home network
going???  Who is going to want to do that?  Samba is not just used as an
Enterprise server application.  I'm just suggesting making it easier to
setup and maintain so just keep an open mind.