[Samba] Re: LDAP account management tools?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 15 14:39:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 09:20 -0500, Matt Lung wrote:

> Right now, it isn't.  It could be with some work though.  I believe new
> users will continue to struggle until there is some sort of wizard type
> setup that will aid in the configuration of their Samba servers.  If
> they use a wizard and get setup what they want they will be happy.
----
I think that is the point of smbldap-tools and most specifically
smbldap-populate - sort of a turnkey approach to getting the Windows
expected/Samba & LDAP implemented base setup.
----
> Maybe some of them will leave it at that and never look any deeper, or
> maybe others will need to dig down and start learning how Samba really
> works or how LDAP really works, and start customizing.  Most that are
> just starting out they try this and they hit a road block and become
> frustrated.... they ask for help on this list and most get chastised for
> asking a simple question.  The inevitable answer is "read the
> documentation".
----
How do you deal with people that already have their users and groups
setup? Is basic LDAP setup/configuration part of Samba responsibility?
----
>   A lot of times it gets pretty nasty too.  Why don't you
> make a separate list for new samba users to post simple startup
> questions to??
----
I don't see it getting nasty
----
>   I'd run back to Microsoft in an instant too if I was new
> looking for help and that happened to me.    Doing something like this
> to make startup easier is only going to help this project and further
> promote switching from Microsoft servers to Samba servers, or switching
> to Linux in general.
----
There are lots of resources for getting support - this list is user
supported for free. Expecting personal attention to one's situation is
probably not reasonable. You can always contract for support, setup
assistance, etc.

Craig