[Samba] new server: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Mathew D. Watson matw at eclipse-optics.com
Thu Dec 15 01:32:14 GMT 2005

Mathew D. Watson wrote:
> I installed samba on a Ubuntu 5.10 machine (named mog). My XP machine
> "sees" it, but the username/password dialog fails.
>
> I've traced it down to what I think is an authentication problem:
>
> mat at mog:/etc/samba$ smbclient -L mog -U mat
> Password: <I enter my password here>
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> If I replace -U mat with -N I get a typical smbclient -L listing, so I
> know something is working.
>
> Another fact is that I have an older Ubuntu (Hoary) machine that also
> serves samba and works. I copied its /etc/samba/smb.conf to the machine
> having trouble; the two machines are the same (config, username, and
> password). Right now the workgroup names are different on the two
> machines, but that didn't make a difference.

The solution to this problem is to run (as root):

# smbpasswd -a username

where username corresponds to a user account that already exists on the
samba server.

In my case I used mat as the username. This account is on all of my
systems, and the login password is the same on all accounts. I'm not
sure this is necessary, but I can say it worked.

I was tempted to run this earlier, but I didn't for two reasons. First,
the official documentation says something about smbpasswd backend being
replaced by tdbsam. Second, my old (working system) didn't have an
smbpasswd file at the location reported by 'smbd -b', so I figured I
hadn't run smbpasswd before (otherwise there'd be an smbpasswd file.
right?).

Wrong. Running smbpasswd didn't create an smbpasswd file. I guess it's
because I specified the tdbsam backend, which must use some-other-place
to stash the password data gathered by smbpasswd.

Mat