[Samba] smbclient lookup fails when querying local machine

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 22:58:05 GMT 2005

Hi Ryan,

> boothost:~# smbclient -L 172.21.23.1 -Uvalidusr
> added interface ip=172.21.23.1 bcast=172.21.23.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after
> 20000 milliseconds
>
> Can bad WINS entries affect results even if WINS isn't in the "name
> resolve order"?

When you use -L <ip> it bypasses WINS, hosts, lmhosts, etc. altogether
and connects directly to that IP address.  So that would explain why -L
BH1230 doesn't work, because WINS might be mapping back to an IP, but
you still get the timeout when connecting to that IP anyway.

Try running "netstat -lnp | grep smbd" to get a list of all ports that
Samba has open, and make sure they're all opened on the firewall
(including the 'lo' interface.)  I have a feeling there are two or
three different ports that need to be opened.

Cheers,
Adam.