[Samba] new server: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Mathew D. Watson matw at eclipse-optics.com
Wed Dec 14 19:10:17 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2005 10:12, Mathew D. Watson wrote:
>
>>I've traced it down to what I think is an authentication problem:
>>
>>mat at mog:/etc/samba$ smbclient -L mog -U mat
>>Password: <I enter my password here>
>>session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>>
>>If I replace -U mat with -N I get a typical smbclient -L listing, so I
>>know something is working.
>>
>>Another fact is that I have an older Ubuntu (Hoary) machine that also
>>serves samba and works. I copied its /etc/samba/smb.conf to the machine
>>having trouble; the two machines are the same (config, username, and
>>password). Right now the workgroup names are different on the two
>>machines, but that didn't make a difference.
>>
>>I'm stumped.
>

> [...]
>
> Please follow the official Samba documentation.

I have. I read the Samba3-HOWTO and many of the html docs that came with
the samba-docs package. I will readily admit that I didn't understand a
_lot_ of what I read. I'm an independent scientist who's trying to make
the most of my PC resources. I managed to get this working before, but I
can't repeat. By googling I found examples of the same error, but that's
all I found, problems and no solutions.

 > Suggest you follow the
> examples and the step-by-step deployment information in  the book "Samba-3 by
> Example". You can purchase hard copy from Amazon.Com, or download the PDF
> from:
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf
>
> If you have a problem with any step, in any chapter of this book please email
> me the datails so I can improve the documentation.

I read through the first several chapters. None of the situations
described seemed to fit, and much of what I read didn't make sense. The
book assumes the reader is skillful regarding windows networking, which
I'm not. Please don't think I'm saying it's a bad book. I'm simply
saying I had difficulty reading it. I'm comfortable with UNIX, and I
found the samba3-Howto much more readable, as it goes over the Windows
principles on which samba is based.

All I want to do is set up password protected read write home shares on
1 to 3 linux PCs that I can access from the 1 to 3 linux PCs and 1 XP
machine. Right now I have only one user account on all the machines
(mat), but I can imagine having a couple more users.

If you suggest an appropriate example from your book, I'll be happy to
implement it.

Sincerely,

Mat