[Samba] new server: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Mathew D. Watson matw at eclipse-optics.com
Wed Dec 14 17:12:14 GMT 2005

I've googled, RTFMed, and I still can't fix this. Hoping someone here
can offer a suggestion. I'm learning, so please explain a little if you can.

I installed samba on a Ubuntu 5.10 machine (named mog). My XP machine
"sees" it, but the username/password dialog fails.

I've traced it down to what I think is an authentication problem:

mat at mog:/etc/samba$ smbclient -L mog -U mat
Password: <I enter my password here>
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

If I replace -U mat with -N I get a typical smbclient -L listing, so I
know something is working.

Another fact is that I have an older Ubuntu (Hoary) machine that also
serves samba and works. I copied its /etc/samba/smb.conf to the machine
having trouble; the two machines are the same (config, username, and
password). Right now the workgroup names are different on the two
machines, but that didn't make a difference.

I'm stumped.

Mat

*************** /etc/samba/smb.conf follows *****************
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.103 (192.168.0.103)
# Date: 2005/12/12 15:40:02

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = ECLIPSE
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000