[Samba] deactivate document settings for all users

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 14 16:10:03 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 05:55, Patrick DUBAU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have samba 3.0.14 which works very well.
> But we have one problem : for each user who is connecting on the station
> a directory of his name is created under C:\Documents and Settings (we
> have about 3000 students...)
> So we want that only one  (the Default User) directory is used (no other
> will no more be  created) and we also want that the default User
> directory is redirected to P: (home directory of each user on samba
> server).
>
> Does  someone know how to achieve this ?

Sure. Follow the information in chapter 5 of the book "Samba-3 by Example" for
setting up the default network user profile. Then configure your windows
clients to use roaming profiles that delete on logoff. Lastly, do not have
profiles share, but do configure everything else as if you will use roaming
profiles. The default network user profile should be configured with folder
redirection.

The book is available from Amazon.Com (hard copy), or in PDF from:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

- John T.