[Samba] The single WINS problem: question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Dec 14 00:23:18 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 17:15, Andreas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 04:17:04PM -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Monday 12 December 2005 02:02, werner maes wrote:
> > > 	hello
> > >
> > > I've been reading the thread
> > > (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113286376900001&r=1&w=2) and I have
> > > the same limitation with WINS in a PDC/BDC.
> > >
> > > That's why I have the following (experimental) setup:
> > >
> > > PDC ==> wins support = yes, passdb backend: master ldap
> > > BDC ==> wins support = yes, passdb backend: slave ldap
> > >
> > > I configured some of my XP clients to use both WINS servers and it
> > > seems to work.
> >
> > Well, you CAN do this, but then it is necessary to use the "remote browse
> > sync" and "remote announce" parameters on both systems to gain
> > cross-subnet
>
> Do these parameters have something to do with name resolution? If they
> are only for network browsing, the minute an user clicks on a machine
> that appeared in his/her network neighbourhood the name resolution will
> come into place and possibly fail.

As I have firmly stated in my books on Samba - WINS is your friend.

Samba does NOT at this time support multiple distriubted WINS servers. If you
use multiple WINS servers you will need to use the "remote browse sync" and
"remote announce"  together with DNS name resolution.

Even this will NOT provide reliable cross-segment services. That's the way it
is right now. Sorry.

- John T.