[Samba] Re: Winbind & adding users... is `useradd` being called? %u parameter?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 14:29:06 GMT 2005

On Dec 12, 2005, at 1:06 pm, Fabian Arrotin wrote:

> Stroller wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> This is probably a dumb question, so my apologies, but I've set up
>> WinBind on my my Samba box & it seems to be authenticating against
>> the domain, however new user accounts do not seem to be added.
>
> They will never be added : you're using winbind to avoid that !
> Don't forget that add user script is used when samba is acting as a
> domain controller, but that's not the case here.
> Winbind is used to simulate local unix users instead of create them
> locally.

Ah, I see. Looks like I hadn't been "getting it".

> If you want your Windows users to log on your Samba server for IMAP,
> create first a home directory with correct permissions ... (i know it
> exists pam_mkhomedir.so, but i've never played with it )
> Anyway : why do you want Windows users to log on your imap server ?
> Have you already configured your sendmail (or postfix) MTA server to
> work with Windows users ? Your MTA server will have to know where to
> look for  virtual users and where to drop mails ....
> Question is : what's the context of the whole thing ?

I have users added on the Windows domain (Windows Server SBS 2003) and
want to use IMAP on Linux for the mailserver. The most important thing
is that if the user changes their Windows domain password then their
password for mail should also be changed, but also it would be nice if
I could just add users to the Windows domain & not concern myself with
adding them on the Linux server. I have used Samba on the mailserver
only because winbind seemed to be an appropriate way of handling this.

I have installed courier-imap on the mailserver, and as you can see
from the logs it seems to be authenticating the users ok. But I'm not
clear on how to tell Courier (or any other IMAP server) where to store
messages for the Windows domain users - I had understood (mistakenly, I
now see) that winbind would create home directories for the Windows
domain users the first time they log on to email (Courier expects to
deliver mail to ~/Maildir).

Apologies for my confusion on this subject - how have others managed
this problem?

Stroller.