[Samba] The single WINS problem: question

werner maes werner.maes at cc.kuleuven.be
Mon Dec 12 09:02:50 GMT 2005

	hello

I've been reading the thread
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113286376900001&r=1&w=2) and I have
the same limitation with WINS in a PDC/BDC.

That's why I have the following (experimental) setup:

PDC ==> wins support = yes, passdb backend: master ldap
BDC ==> wins support = yes, passdb backend: slave ldap

I configured some of my XP clients to use both WINS servers and it
seems to work.

but in the manual of smb.conf I read:

wins support (G)
               Note that you should NEVER set this to yes  on
               more than one machine in your network.

What could happen if you use more than one WINS server on your network?

thanks

werner maes