[Samba] Re: Migrating W2K Workstation to Samba Domain

Michael Urban urban at panix.com
Tue Dec 13 15:44:45 GMT 2005

My message dated: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:16:14 EST
> I am replacing a W2K AD server with a Samba server.  The server has
> a single W2K Workstation client, in a public area and used by a dozen
> or so different users.  When I join the workstation to the Samba domain,
> it complains that it cannot load a roaming profile (in the W2K AD domain,
> it used local profiles), and it does not create a new local profile,
> instead using a temporary profile.
>
> Obviously a permission problem somewhere.  What is the exact problem,
> and what is the solution?

I am still at sea on this.  To clarify things a bit more, users of
this workstation (under the W2K server) have local profiles, not
floating profiles.  I would like to let them continue to have local
profiles, even if it proves impossible to let them use their old
ones due to permission problems.  However, even removing their
directories from "C:\Documents and Settings" does not help - Windows
does not create a new one for them (as all the documentation I have
read led me to believe it would).o

logon path=
logon home=

does not seem to affect this situation.  It still seems to try
to get a floating profile, fails, and then makes a local profile
in TEMP.

Hasn't anyone performed this sort of migration before?  What
other information can I provide (or try to glean from log files)
to get this sorted out?