[Samba] Samba Performance + File Access log & veto files.

updatemyself . updatemyself at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:17:12 GMT 2005

Hai All,

I would like to know how to configure log about all file accesses on the
samba shares to investigate who has deleted or modified the files on the
share.

Also i would like to know how I can block users from copying mp3 file to
share. I found "veto files" option and wish to know more about it.

I having 2TB volumes. My samba server is authenticating to Windows 2003 ADS.

Hope some one can guide me to make my server more robust.

Here is my smb.conf file configuration...

#=========================== Global Settings
================================
[global]

   workgroup = MYDOMAIN
   server string = Samba Server
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = ads
   encrypt passwords = yes
   dns proxy = no

#=========================== Share Definitions
==============================
   #ldap idmap suffix = ou=emplist,dc=dqe,dc=com
   password server = 172.16.20.200
   realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   allow trusted domains = no
   idmap backend = idmap_rid:DQE=16777216-33554431
   winbind use default domain = yes

[vol7]
   path = /vol07_1000
   writable = yes
   valid users = @16777729
   inherit owner = yes
   inherit permissions = yes
   inherit acls = yes
   nt acl support = yes
   create mask = 0644
   directory mask = 0775
   security mask = 0755
   force security mode = 0000
   directory security mask = 0777
   force directory security mode = 0000

Please Suggest me the changes for best performance!

Thank You in Advance,

Regards,
Jerrynikki.