[Samba] Migrating W2K Workstation to Samba Domain

Michael Barnes mbarnes at hcjb.org
Mon Dec 12 15:35:03 GMT 2005

I had similar problems just a short time ago.  IIRC, the two big areas
were the paths and the permissions.  Be sure your paths to the profile
storage folder are correct, and be sure the users can write to them.  I
was confused by the fact that Unix permissions and Samba permissions
seem to be different animals.  I ended up setting most of the stuff to
777 to get it to work.  Since no one logs into the shell except
administrators, you shouldn't have too much problem.  Using controls
like "valid users" "browseable" etc. in the share definitions in your
smb.conf will keep your network users in and out as needed.

After all that and re-reading your post, you have one client in a public
area.  Do you need roaming profiles?  Do you really need to join the
domain?  Can you have just local profiles and have the client on the
same workgroup as the Samba server, treat the share as public, and have
the profile map the share when the user logs in?  Might be easier.

HTH,
Michael

Michael Urban told me on 12/12/2005 09:16: