[Samba] Samba DMB "loses" machines in the Network Neighborhood

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 12 05:24:12 GMT 2005

> But about half an hour later, Samba seems to lose track of several
> machines; they no longer appear in NN or /var/cache/samba/browse.dat.

Do you have any other NMB servers on your network?  I have two Windows
2000 servers, and they somehow manage to 'overwrite' Samba's browse
list shortly after startup.

When I first installed Samba I put some text into the 'server comment'
field, but I removed it almost a month ago - yet it would seem
that because at any given moment at least one of the Win2k machines has
been available, this outdated data is still being cached and the wrong
server comment is still showing up.  I think it will take a power
outage or some other method of switching off all Windows PCs and
servers at the same time in order to 'flush' this outdated data away.

Cheers,
Adam.