[Samba] password for swat

Eric Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 16:21:24 GMT 2005

There are a couple of things you may need to do.  One is to write a swat
configuration file. There's a good example on page 53 of Ts, Eckstein, and
Collier-Brown's _Using Samba_ (O'Reilly pub) that works well for Fedora
Core and SUSE.  You may need to tailor it some for your OS, but I think
most of the tailoring will be in where you have to put the file.  Also, the
example includes the line "only-from = localhost."  You may need to change
that to "only-from = 127.0.0.1." Localhost almost always works, but
sometimes it's necessary to use the IP address instead.  Also, after having
installed the file, don't forget to restart (or start in the first place)
your inetd or xinetd--whichever daemon your OS uses.

You also may need to add root's password to smbpasswd.

Hope this helps.

Eric Hines