[Samba] libsmbclient smbc_context problems.

Henrik Zagerholm henke at mac.se
Sun Dec 11 10:53:22 GMT 2005

Hello all!

I have a problem/question regarding sambas context caching.

I have a little C module which uses some basic functions from
libsmbclient. I.e smbc.opendir().

When I use this from a linux terminal and supply a user/pass it works
as it should. (Access granted when right user/pass and access denied
when wrong pass. Obviously! :))

The problem is that if I use the module from a web application the
context gets cached in some weird way (and yes you probably would
teel me to please turn of caching in your browser but this is not the
issue :))

If I start out with a bad user/pass I get access denied BUT if I once
have the right user/pass the context sticks and I can use which pass
I want and still get access.  If I change the user I get access
denied but as soon as I put the right username back I get access even
though I use a  bougus passwrod. I have to restart the web server so
release it.

My question is: Who, what, when does samba store smbclient access
attempts adn how do I clear them. (I've tried free_context with no
success). I've tried other modules and functions in my web server
backend and then I never get a chaching problem so it is something
with libsmbclient when run from a webserver.

I've building a simple web app to validate correct smb login
credentials so if you have a better solution please let me know :)
Right now I have to pipe output from the rpcclient command and that
is not a pretty solution :) But hey, at least my credentials doesn't
get cached!

Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Henrik