[Samba] Upgrade Trouble w/ Samba 3.0.20b

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 11 04:10:21 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 20:04 -0600, Eric Hines wrote:
> I'm currently running SUSE Pro 9.3 with samba-3.0.13-1.1-SUSE, and I'm
> trying to upgrade to 3.0.20b.  When I try to rpm -Uvh samba-3.0.20b
> and  samba-client-3.0.20b, I get the failed dependency "samba = 3.0.13 is
> needed by (installed) samba-vscan-0.3.5-37.2."
>
> How do I resolve this dependency?  I'd prefer not to force it in, as that
> often generates more problems than it solves.
>
> Thanks for your help.
----
worse comes to worse, you can remove samba-vscan and then re-install it
- get the source-rpm and edit the SPEC file either commenting out the
dependency or changing the dependency to the updated samba rpms that you
have installed (but of course it sets you up for having to deal with it
again).

My thinking is that the samba-vscan could ***probably*** be installed
with --nodeps (never done it myself)

NEVER use --force unless you are prepared to live with the consequences.

Craig