[Samba] 3.0.20b and Nonalphabetical File Lists on Windows Boxes

Jonathon Schrader jlschrad at jlschrad.net
Sat Dec 10 06:32:49 GMT 2005

Hello:

(Please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered...but if
it has, I sure can't find it anywhere...)

I'm running 3.0.20b on a Fedora Core 4 box (although I've seen the same
results with a FC4 stock 3.0.14a release) and my Windows XP boxes
(service pack 2) that are on my LAN.

What I'm seeing is an inability for the machines to read a list of files
in alphabetical order, with the folders at the top, and the files at the
bottom.  The machines show a list in "normal" fashion (that is, with the
folders in alpha order first, then the files in alpha order) when I look
at a local drive, but when I hit the Samba server, the files take on a
weird format that I can only imagine is the order that they are stored
on the disk.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, asking you all instead of
Microsoft...but I'm taking the chance that I'll get a better (at least
more technical) response here. :-)

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you all can provide!
-Jonathon Schrader
jlschrad<at>jlschraddotnet