[Samba] Slow saves from application

R. W. Rodolico techinfo at dailydata.net
Fri Dec 9 06:33:29 GMT 2005

I have a client who is using 3.0.14a-3 (standard Debian Sarge install) for
a small network. They are working on large (250M+) files from their
workstation directly from a Samba share. It is taking 2-4 minutes to
"save" the work back onto the server when they are done. Copying the same
file via a standard Windows Explorer copy takes only 15 seconds (gigabit
network, dedicated file server), so I think the system itself is fine.

I replaced a WinXP server they had with this Samba server. On the old
machine, doing the same thing, saves took around 15 seconds. The
application used is Raindrop Geo Magic (www.geomagic.com).

I added the "oplocks = no" line as I read somewhere that solved some
problems, but it made no difference. Their files tend to run between 50M
and 300M.

-----------System------------
kernel       - 2.6.8.2
Distribution - Debian Sarge
Processor    - Opteron 2000+ (3981 bogomips)
Memory       - 1G
Disk         - 4 SATA 400G on 3ware 8300 series RAID 5 controller

--------------------smb.conf---------------

[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        strict locking = yes
        encrypt passwords = true
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passdb backend = tdbsam guest
        wins support = true
        dns proxy = no
        oplocks = no
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        invalid users = root
        default = data
        workgroup = sculptcad
#       debug level = 6
        os level = 20
        syslog = 0
        max log size = 1000
[data]
        comment = All active projects
        writeable = yes
        create mode = 777
        path = /home/samba
        directory mode = 777

I appreciate any suggestions on where to go or what to do to fix this.

Rod