[Samba] Samba DMB "loses" machines in the Network Neighborhood

Evan Hein evan.hein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:19:03 GMT 2005

I have a long running problem with my configuration of Samba as a domain
master browser. After nmbd comes up, all the machines on the network are
viewable in the Network Neighborhood as they should be. But about half an
hour later, Samba seems to lose track of several machines; they no longer
appear in NN or /var/cache/samba/browse.dat.

I recently upgraded to a packaged version 3.0.20b (for Slackware) trying to
fix the issue with previous 3.0.x version that was installed, but to no
avail.

The [global] block of my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = 203