[Samba] Domain group membership.

Dennis B. Hopp dhopp at coreps.com
Fri Dec 9 01:40:00 GMT 2005

Quoting Latrell <is85022 at cis.nctu.edu.tw>:

> Hi! All:
>
> How can i get domain members of a domain group?
> I tried getent group, but only get the gid infomation.
> There isn't member infomation at the last field as local group is.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best,
> Latrell
> --

Hmm..this is interesting.  It seems that getent may fail if there are a
large number of users in a domain group.

[root at cartier ~]# getent group "Domain Users"
domain users:x:15000:

All of my domain users are in the Domain Users group...but if I do:

[root at cartier ~]# getent group "Domain Admins"
domain
admins:x:15005:dhopp,rrush,lgrohs,dbagent,backupexec,sriley,administrator

I get a list of the proper users in that group.  Obviously displaying a
list of 600+ users in the output under "Domain Users" would really make
the output hard to read but I wonder if that is by design or if that is
a problem...

--Dennis